Lichtschip 3

West-Hinder III

 - active lightship from 1950 until 1992 -

 

Position as West-Hinder: 51 23' 00'' North, 02 26' 20'' East

 

Ship data

Length o.a.: 42,50 m

Length: 37,50 m

Beam: 7,80 m

Depth: 3,00 m

Side height: 5,90 m

Displacement: ca. 401m³

Weight: 420 t
 

Builder: Beliard, Crighton & Co. Werft, Oostende

Yard no.: 117

Year of construction: 1950

 
Elevation: 14 m
Range: 12,4 sm
 

Engine: Diesel engine 200 HP

Speed: 8 knots
 

Crew: 9 men, changing every 2 weeks


 

History:

1950-1960 in 6-monthly rotation with "Lichtschip 1" and "Lichtschip 2" on stations "Wandelaar", "West-Hinder" or as "reserve" in harbour

16.06.1960 at 20.25 pm rammed by the Norwegian tanker "Branita", fortunately there were no injured persons. Later the lightship had been towed by the "Zeetijger" to Oostende, but sunk on this journey

03.08.1960 rescued by the "Letzer" and towed to the Berliard-Murdoch Wharf for restoration

1960-1992 in 6-monthly rotation with "Lichtschip 1" and "Lichtschip 2" on stations "Wandelaar", "West-Hinder" or as "reserve" in harbour

22.10.1992 decommissioned

12.05.1995 donated to the City of Antwerp and on display and open to the public at the Bonapartedock of the National Scheepvaartmuseum today

05/2003 the lightship is in very poor condition and is going to be restored. Nevertheless it is on display and open to the public

Opening hours:
Eastern until the End of October
Tuesday - Sunday 10 am - 4 pm

Entrance fee:
free

Visitor address:
Bonapartedok, St. Laureys Kaai
B-2000 Antwerp
Belgium

 

 Photo-Gallery