active lightship from 1895 until 1972 -
Year of construction:
1895 Builder: N.F.
Hansens Værft in Odense, Danmark Crew: 2 x
7 men in rotation every 2 weeks
overall: 36 m
tonnage: 170 BRT
oak with copper below the waterline
Voelund, 135 h.p.
Year of construction: 1895
Builder: N.F. Hansens Værft in Odense, Danmark
Crew: 2 x 7 men in rotation every 2 weeks
1895-1919 Lappegrund station
1921 the new Voelund 135 h.p. populsion engine had been installed
1921-1940 Gedser Rev station
1940-1945 moved to Store Baelt near Kalundborg during WW II
1945-1954 Gedser Rev station
1954 the lighthsip has been involved in collisions for many times during her working life. The most serious collision was in 1954, when she was sunk within a few minutes. The seaman in duty had just time to switch in the alarm, so all men below had enough time to come on deck and were saved. Unfortunately the seamen on duty had been throw overboard and drowned
1954-1972 Gedser Rev station
1972 decommissioned and put up for sale at the lightship warehouse on Holmen, Copenhagen. The Danish National Museet was able to secure the lighthsip for posterity. The money (50.000 kr) to purchase the lightship was donated by the A.P. Moeller Fund. Since the purchase, the lighthsip has been looked after by a group of old-age pensioners, belonging to the organisation "Three Crowns Active", who, - without payment - have been maintaining the lighthsip
January 2001 the lightship had been towed to Hvide Sande, where it had been restored at the A/S Hvide Sande Skibs- og Bådebyggeri. The money for restoration (4.5 million Danish kroner) was once again donated by the A.P. Møller Fund
November 5th, 2003 a tow boat of the Hanstholm Bugserservice towed the lightship back to Copenhagen, where they arrived at November 7th, 2003.
November 16th and 23th, 2003 "Open Ship" from 11am to 3 pm for all lighthsip enthusiasts
Today Lightship No. XVII is afloat at Nyhavn in Copenhagen as a characteristic example of the effords of generations to keep the shiping safe in Danish waters. But with her presence she also adds to the authentic picture of the old harbour, where now cars are parked close together, but where once people were bussy on- and offloading the local packetboats and potatoeships.
May 27th, 2009 Today Denmarks Nationalbank issued a new 20-krone coin with lightship XVII on its backside. The artist is Karin Lorentzen. A picture of the coin can be found here.
The lightship is open to the public every Saturday from 11am to 3 pm in June, July and August and can be visited in the Nyhavn in Copenhagen.