Humber Conservancy Board

Lightvessel No. 14


- lightvessel active from 1959 until 1985 -

 

 

Technical data

Length: 114 feet (ca. 34.75 m)

Beam: 26 feet (ca. 7.92 m)
Draught: 12 feet (ca. 3.65 m)
Displacement: 342 tons

Authority: Humber Conservancy Board

Year of construction: 1959

Shipyard: Cook, Welton and Gemmell, Beverley, Yorkshire, England

Yard-No.: 937

Contract price: 98.843 £
 
Material: steel
Populsion: 4 Gardener 2 LW Diesels
Anchor: Mushroom anchor
Crew: 7 men changing every two weeks

History

June 2nd, 1959

blest by priest and launched

June 28th, 1959

commissioned SPURN station

May 29th, 1961

collision with the Hull trawler Loch Seaforth

July 5th, 1961

collision with the Ostend trawler Sea Lady

October 17th, 1966

collision with the Hull trawler Steed Fame

December 24th, 1982

no light on the lightship for 5 hours because of a mistake of the crew

December 19th, 1984

visit by the Archbishop of York

December 11th, 1985

decommissioned SPURN station

1987

sold to Mr. Roger Smith and restoration for 1.500.000 GBP

May 1988

the ship became the club home of the Beaucette Yacht Club in Guernsey, Canal Islands and tourist attraction, renamed to "Beaucette Lightship"

September 12th, 1988


tourist attraction in Conwy, North Wales

October 12th, 1990 purchased for the Milford Haven Port Authority
October 20th, 1990
tourist attraction in Milford Haven Marina
March 14th, 1991
renamed to "Haven lightship"
July 1997 sold to Irish tourism investors
December 2001 laid up in Bear Iceland, Bantry Bay, of Co. Cork in Ireland and later in Waterford and offered for sale

June 1st, 2007


Good news - from today the lightship has new owners, who are planning to live on it and to start an alternative healing center on it (such as Reiki, Crystal Healing, Sound Healing, Aromatherapy, etc.). For more details please see: http://www.lightshiptherapies.net

 

August 2007

The Sharpness Shipyard & Docks was selected to do the work on the lightship. But first the lightship has to be towed from Ireland to the UK and this means - paperwork! The problem with lightships is, that they are not a ship as such and so they are not registered and classified - but they need to to be towed. Stressful times!

November 14th-16th, 2007

The lightship was picked-up by the tug Sea Trojan in Waterford (Ireland) and towed to the Sharpness Shipyard in Gloucester (UK).

 

January 6th, 2008

Here in Sharpness the lightship will stay for the next 5-6 month for restoration and conservation work. Any volunteers? :-)

 

October 2nd, 2010

After 3 years of restoration and fitting out at Sharpness the lightship (now called Sula) was towed up the 16 miles from Sharpness to its new home in Gloucester today. With the help of a pair of tug boats the journey on the relatively narrow canal took 10 hours!

 

December 2nd, 2010

Grand Opening event. The shipyard has done a superb job turning the ship into a modern therapy centre whilst retaining the character of the era the lightship was build.

 

Today


Today the lightship is proudly owned by Jan and Agnes van der Elsen, a couple originally from Eindhoven in Holland. They have renamed the lightship SULA, meaning peace, and they offer high quality complementary health care and training, trading under the name Lightship Therapies. Both are qualified practitioners who can help you find the best treatment to achieve a balanced life. A long-list of healing treatments and complementary therapies are available including Reiki, Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Life-coaching, Sound Therapy and Yoga. The ship is open to the public.

Visitor address:
SULA Lightship
Llanthony Wharf
Llanthony Road
Hempsted, Gloucester GL2 5HH
England

Web:
http://www.lightshiptherapies.net

If someone has news, I would be grateful for an e-mail.