Trinity House
Lightvessel No. 14

ex. Helwick
"Goleulong 2000 Lightship"

- lightvessel active from 1953 until 1988 -

 

 


Technical data


Length o.a.: 137,25 feet (approx. 41,80 m)
Length: 119 feet (approx. 36,30 m)
Beam: 25 feet (approx. 7,60 m)
Draught: 15 feet (approx. 4,60 m)
Displacement: 550 t
 
Authority: Trinity House, London

Year of construction: 1953

Shipyard: Phillip & Son, Dartmouth, England

Yard-No.: 1246

Contract prize: 80.685 £, profit 3,185 £
 

Crew: 7 men

History

September 1951

ordered by Trinity House, London

22.09.1953

launched

30.11.1953

handed over to Trinity House, London

17.12.53-16.03.55


Kentish Knock station

03.04.55-03.08.56 Outer Gabbard station
23.10.56-24.10.56 Cowes station
24.10.56-25.08.59 Morecambe Bay station
13.02.60-16.02.60 Scarweather station
20.07.60-21.05.63 Royal Sovereign station
23.08.63-15.01.76 Breaksea station
1975 a landing platform was added, so that the crews could be trensferred by helicopter
04.06.76-27.10.83 Scarweather station
25.02.84-01.06.89 Helwick station
23.10.1991

sold to Norsail Ltd, Maryport for 29,000 £

1992

sold to become Church Fellowship Centre, Cardiff Bay and renamed GOLEULONG 2000

1993 with considerable help from Cardiff Bay Development Corporation LV 14 was purchased for 70,000 £. LV 14 was drydocked for 2 weeks at Marine und Port Service in Pembrok for a full inspection. Restoration to create a floating Christian Centre needed another 150,000 £
September 1993 the lightship was towed to Cardiff
16.02.2000

the lightship is now a church ship and can be visited in Cardiff, Wales, Great Britain. The Lightship provides a bold central focus for the Churches of Wales and will be home to a centre for counselling, worship, exhibitions, meetings, a book shop, refreshment area and the cabins will be used for small residential stays, especially designed for youth groups. There is a small chapel (with beautiful bulleyes) where weddings and holy communions take place. To visit the vessel, including light tower, engine room and cabins is free.

18.05.2015

After 22 years as a floating Christian centre in Cardiff/Wales the lightvessel has been towed to Alexandra Dock last Friday. The ship closed already last year after four churches that funded it could no longer foot the bill. Today the lightship was towed to Newham on Severn in Gloucestershire - future unknown. A video of Mr. Adrian Walker can be found on Youtube. Thanks for sharing, Adrian.

If someone has news, I would be grateful for an e-mail.