Trinity House
Lightvessel No. 23

"PLANET/BAR lightvessel"

- lightvessel active from 1960 until 1989 -


Technical data

Length: 125.3 feet (ca. 38,19 m)

Beam: 26.65 feet (ca. 8,12 m)
Draught: 16.4 feet (ca. 4,99 m)

Authority from 1958: Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, Liverpool
Authority from 1972: Trinity House, London

Year of construction: 1959

Shipyard: Philip & Son, Dartmouth, Devon, England

Yard-No.: 1312

Name: PLANET
Contract price: 171,541 £, profit: 8,461 £
Material: steel (riveted)
Generator: 4 x Ruston & Hornby 4YC2 Diesel, 2 x Ruston & Hornby 6YC2 Diesel
 
Crew: 7 men changing every 2 weeks

History

September 1958


ordered by Mersey Docks and Harbour Board, Liverpool

May 24th, 1960 launched
September 9th, 1960


handed over

1960-1972



used on BAR station

September 4th, 1972



removed from the BAR station, sold to Trinity House, London and became No. 23 in their fleet

February 1974 - July 18th, 1975


KENTISH KNOCK station

the last lightvessel being withdrawn from this station

1975-1979
VARNE station
August 1979-1989


CHANNEL station

June 10th, 1989


demanned, last manned lightvessel on CHANNEL station

July 25th, 1991


arrived Portsmouth under tow after sale to Pound´s Marine Services Ltd., Portsmouth for 2,000
£

1992


resold
to Mike Critchley and Keith Gane, who brought the lightship to the Cammell Lairdīs Wet Basin and later to Birkenhead

1997
the Liverpool Marine Radio and Electronic Society is using the lightship for an exhibition. People from this society later founded the Mersey Lightvessel Preservation Society, who were planning to rebuild the lightship to its original look. They are now trying to collect the 375,000 £ to buy the lightship.

2002



open to the public at the Historic Warship Museum, East Float Dock, Dock Raod, Birkenhead on weekends only.

2004 sold to Mr. Gary McClarnan
2005 moved to Cross Quay Birkenhead for renovation works
2006 new berth in historic Albert Docks in Liverpool
2008

The lightship was for sale for 139.000 £ and was bought by two couples from Halewood - Tom and Angela Surtees and Alan Roberts and Sharon Sarsfield.

May 19th, 2012

The lightvessel can be found in the Albert Dock in Liverpool today. It was shut today but had tables and chairs on the deck.

If someone has news, I would be grateful for an
e-mail
.