Fyrskepp nr. 25

FINNGRUNDET

- Active lightship from 1903 to 1969-

 

 


Position as Finngrundet: 61° 1,5' North, 18° 31' East 

 

Ship data

Measures in 1903: Measures from 1927:

Length overall: 27,35 m

Length overall: 32,80 m

Length: 24,80 m Length: 31,24 m

Beam: 6,85 m

Beam: 6,85 m

Depth: 3,00 m Depth: 3,20 m
Engine: Steam 130 PS Engine: 4cyl. Bolinder

Displacement: 264 t

Displacement (fully equipped): 350 t

Year of construction: 1903  
Builder: Gefle Mekaniska Verkstad AB, Sweden  
Costs: 98.917,74 SEK  
   
Builder of the optic: G.W. Lyth, Stockholm, Sweden  
Elevation: 11,50 m over waterline  
Range: 11 nautical miles  
Charakter: 2 flashes every 20 sek. ( 1 + 3,5 + 1 + 14,5= 20 sek.)  

Crew: 8 men

 

 

History:

1903-1969 Station Finngrundet 40 miles offshore, northeast of Gavoe, Sweden in the Baltic Sea

1927 conversion at the Öregrunds Ship och Varvs AB, an AGA beacon was installed. At the same time, the old bell on the deck was supplemented by more advanced fog-signal - "nautophone" and underwater signals

1940 during the next conversion the AGA beacon was electrified and the Finngrundet also equipped with a radio beacon

1957 during her last conversion the deckshouse and the community rooms had been renewed

14.07.1969 decommissioned

04.06.1970 Generaldirector Erik Severin of the Sjöfartsverket handed lightship no. 25 over to the Statens Sjöhistoriska Museum in Stockholm

Today she is part of the VASA Museum and can be toured by the public


Visitor address:
Vasa-Museet
Djurgarden-Galärvarvet
S-10252 Stockholm

Opening hours:
Summer (10th June - 20th August) 9.30 am - 7 pm
Rest of the year (21st August - 9th June) 10 am - 5 pm (Wednesday: 10 am - 8 pm)
Closed: 1.1., 1.5., 23.-25.12., 31.12.

Entrance fees:
Adults: 70 SEK
Children: (7-15 years): 10 SEK

 

 

 Photo-Gallery